- 1 Which area in Athens is best to stay?
- 2 Where should you not stay in Athens?
- 3 Is Athens walkable?
- 4 How long should you spend in Athens?
- 5 Where do the rich live in Athens?
- 6 Is Athens safe 2020?
- 7 Is Athens dangerous at night?
- 8 What should I avoid in Greece?
- 9 Is Athens worth visiting?
- 10 What should I not miss in Athens?
- 11 How much is a taxi from Athens airport to Athens?
- 12 Is Athens easy to walk around?
- 13 Is food expensive in Athens?
- 14 How much does it cost to see the Acropolis in Athens?
- 15 Is Santorini or Mykonos better?
Which area in Athens is best to stay?
Plaka – The Best Place to Stay in Athens One of the reasons I recommend this area as the perfect place for first-time visitors is that it is in central Athens and is close to pretty much everything. Known as the Old Town of Athens, the Plaka neighborhood is situated right at the the base of the Acropolis.
Where should you not stay in Athens?
When keeping in mind areas to avoid in Athens, know that Omonia, Exarcheia, Vathi, and Kolokotroni Squares have high crime rates and should be avoided at night, if not altogether.
Is Athens walkable?
Athens is a walkable city and its historic center is easy to navigate, while public transport is affordable.
How long should you spend in Athens?
The only places of interest to a tourist in Athens are inside (or close to) the historical center of Athens an area no larger than 4 sq. miles & w/ excellent public transportation (when there are no strikes). IMHO you need at least 3 full days to simply “get a whiff ” of Athens.
Where do the rich live in Athens?
After Palaio Psychico, the richest area identified is the northern Athens suburb of Ekali, where 2,883 taxpayers declared annual incomes of 122,879. A distant third is Kolonaki, in the center of the capital, where 1,454 taxpayers declared incomes averaging at 77,419 euros.
Is Athens safe 2020?
Athens is considered a very safe city, even for solo female travelers. The crime rate is very low and as long as you take normal precautions, you will feel safe here. Most visits are trouble-free, but the theft of passports and wallets are common on the metro and in crowded tourist sights.
Is Athens dangerous at night?
The biggest issue in Athens is petty crime, rather than anything sinister. There are certain neighbourhoods where the risk of being a victim of crime is heightened. You should be extra vigilant in the neighbourhoods of Omonia, Exarchia, Monastiraki, Syntagma, and Patissia – especially at night.
What should I avoid in Greece?
10 Things Tourists Should Never Do in Greece, Ever
- Show too much skin when visiting a church.
- Rely only on credit cards.
- Take a passive-aggressive attitude with smokers.
- Take photos of military installations.
- Throw paper in the toilet.
- Eat or drink in the metro in Athens.
- Do the moutza.
- Touch artifacts in museums and at archaeological sites.
Is Athens worth visiting?
Athens is now definitely one of the best cities to visit in Greece. It’s worth visiting Athens today for both its ancient treasures – and its modern delights.
What should I not miss in Athens?
Best things to do in Athens
- The Acropolis. What is it?
- The National Gardens. What is it?
- Museum of Cycladic Art. What is it?
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre (SNFCC) What is it?
- Monastiraki Neighbourhood. What is it?
- Varvakios Agora. What is it?
- Lycabettus Hill. What is it?
- Plaka Neighbourhood. What is it?
How much is a taxi from Athens airport to Athens?
Taxis at Athens airport are charged at a flat rate. It will cost 38€ to take a taxi in the daytime and 54€ at night. However, if you are traveling outside of the central ring, the taxi will be charged by a taximeter that calculates the fee depending on distance.
Is Athens easy to walk around?
Walking around Athens is really easy providing you are fit enough (to cope with both distance and temperature), then it really isn’t at all necessary to use public transport.
Is food expensive in Athens?
While meal prices in Athens can vary, the average cost of food in Athens is €20 per day. Based on the spending habits of previous travelers, when dining out an average meal in Athens should cost around €7.80 per person. Breakfast prices are usually a little cheaper than lunch or dinner.
How much does it cost to see the Acropolis in Athens?
The cost of entrance to the Acropolis is about 20 euros and is good for the other sites in the area including the ancient agora, theatre of Dionysos, Kerameikos, Roman Agora, Tower of the Winds and the Temple of Olympian Zeus and is supposedly good for a week. You can also buy individual tickets to these other sites.
Is Santorini or Mykonos better?
Mykonos is not without its beautiful spots but for scenes that are truly jaw-dropping, Santorini wins hands-down. Santorini is more romantic and much better suited to a honeymoon or couples vacation. Mykonos has gorgeous beaches with golden sand and turquoise water.