- 1 Is Athens safe at night?
- 2 What should I avoid in Greece?
- 3 Is Greece dangerous for tourists?
- 4 What was bad about Athens?
- 5 Is Athens expensive?
- 6 Can you drink the water in Athens?
- 7 Do and don’ts in Greece?
- 8 Can you drink the water in Greece?
- 9 Do people speak English in Greece?
- 10 Is Greece expensive to visit?
- 11 What should I wear in Greece?
- 12 How do I not look like a tourist in Greece?
- 13 What is Athens weakness?
- 14 Is Athens pretty?
- 15 What was Athens famous for?
Is Athens safe at night?
When keeping in mind areas to avoid in Athens, know that Omonia, Exarcheia, Vathi, and Kolokotroni Squares have high crime rates and should be avoided at night, if not altogether. Protests are semi-common in Athens, especially at Syntagma Square, which tends to be the political center of things.
What should I avoid in Greece?
10 Things Tourists Should Never Do in Greece, Ever
- Show too much skin when visiting a church.
- Rely only on credit cards.
- Take a passive-aggressive attitude with smokers.
- Take photos of military installations.
- Throw paper in the toilet.
- Eat or drink in the metro in Athens.
- Do the moutza.
- Touch artifacts in museums and at archaeological sites.
Is Greece dangerous for tourists?
OVERALL RISK: LOW. Greece is a very safe country to travel to. Tourists are unlikely to experience any crime or violence. The only concern is petty crime on the streets, but if you apply the basic precaution measures, your trip should go smoothly.
What was bad about Athens?
Athenian democracy also was cumbersome and operated slowly. It took longer to make political decisions than some of the city-states that operated oligarchies did. The government was also corrupted and dominated by the elite of the city-state.
Is Athens expensive?
Is Athens expensive? Athens is certainly not cheap, but it is not very expensive either. In comparison to other European capitals, we would say that Athens is somewhere in the middle. It all depends on what type of traveler you are and how much budget you wish to spend during your visit.
Can you drink the water in Athens?
Although it is perfectly safe to drink water from the tap in Athens and Thessaloniki it is better to ask in all the other places or even better buy bottled water which is fairly cheap. Generally in most of the Greek Islands like Mykonos and Santorini you cannot drink water from the tap.
Do and don’ts in Greece?
Dos & Don ‘ ts
- Speak our (body) language. Don ‘ t think that you need to learn some Greek before you get here.
- Pick your restaurant wisely.
- Haggling is not cool.
- Tread carefully.
- Take your time.
- What not to wear.
- Follow toilet etiquette.
- Avoid the clichés.
Can you drink the water in Greece?
Water — The public drinking water in Greece is safe to drink, although it can be slightly brackish in some locales near the sea. For that reason, many people prefer the bottled water available at restaurants, hotels, cafes, food stores, and kiosks.
Do people speak English in Greece?
The official language of Greece is Greek, spoken by 99% of the population. The most common foreign languages learned by Greeks are English, German, French and Italian.
Is Greece expensive to visit?
“ Greece is definitely not cheap, especially not Athens. Clubs charge around 20 EUR entrance fees. The akropolis is like 25 EUR entrance to walk around. Sure, tavernas are pretty cheap, but once you go up from backpacker hostels and low-end tavernas, Greece is hella expensive.
What should I wear in Greece?
When planning what to wear in Greece in summer, pack tank tops, vests, shorts, mini-skirts, and light dresses; these can all be in bright, colorful shades to reflect the season. Opt for thin, light materials like cotton and linen for extra breathability and coolness.
How do I not look like a tourist in Greece?
Visiting Athens for the first time? These 12 helpful Athens travel tips will help you NOT look like a tourist
- Don’t visit in August.
- Do drink coffee several times a day.
- Don’t wear the “ancient Greece ” themed clothes sold in souvenir shops.
- Don’t talk about how you visited “the Greek islands”
- Do wear black – all year.
What is Athens weakness?
Athens ‘ strengths included its large size, large trireme navy, wealth, and democratic government. Athens ‘ weaknesses included its unwritten laws, lack of unity at the beginning, insatiable hunger for new territories, and constant power struggles with other poleis.
Is Athens pretty?
Athens is highly attractive but not objectively beautiful. It’s actually ugly for any visitor who is addicted to perfect landscapes of any kind. But for all of you who like diversity, contrasts and thousands of years of history gathered in the exact same place, you’ll find Athens astonishing!
What was Athens famous for?
Athens was the largest and most influential of the Greek city-states. It had many fine buildings and was named after Athena, the goddess of wisdom and warfare. The Athenians invented democracy, a new type of government where every citizen could vote on important issues, such as whether or not to declare war.