- 1 What kind of clothes do people wear in Greece?
- 2 Is there a dress code in Greece?
- 3 What should I avoid in Greece?
- 4 Is Greece safe for tourists 2020?
- 5 Do and don’ts in Greece?
- 6 Why do Greek ladies wear black?
- 7 How can I be polite in Greece?
- 8 How much money should I bring to Greece?
- 9 Do people speak English in Greece?
- 10 Can you drink the water in Greece?
- 11 Is Greece better than Italy?
- 12 Are there any travel warnings for Greece?
- 13 Is Greece hotter than Italy?
What kind of clothes do people wear in Greece?
The Greeks wore light, loose clothes as the weather was hot for most of the year. Long pieces of colourful fabric were used to make the Greek clothes. The main item of clothing for men was a tunic, called a chiton, These were big squares of cloth, held in place by pins at the shoulders and a belt round the waist.
Is there a dress code in Greece?
Dress codes and cultural hints Most monasteries and to a lesser extent churches impose a fairly strict dress code for visitors: no shorts, with women expected to cover their arms and wear skirts (though most Greek women visitors will be in trousers); the necessary wraps are sometimes provided on the spot.
What should I avoid in Greece?
10 Things Tourists Should Never Do in Greece, Ever
- Show too much skin when visiting a church.
- Rely only on credit cards.
- Take a passive-aggressive attitude with smokers.
- Take photos of military installations.
- Throw paper in the toilet.
- Eat or drink in the metro in Athens.
- Do the moutza.
- Touch artifacts in museums and at archaeological sites.
Is Greece safe for tourists 2020?
The bottom line: There are risks in traveling to Greece, including some unique to the country, but as of April 2020, the U.S. Department of State does not discourage American travelers from visiting the country and urges travelers to exercise normal precautions.
Do and don’ts in Greece?
Dos & Don ‘ ts
- Speak our (body) language. Don ‘ t think that you need to learn some Greek before you get here.
- Pick your restaurant wisely.
- Haggling is not cool.
- Tread carefully.
- Take your time.
- What not to wear.
- Follow toilet etiquette.
- Avoid the clichés.
Why do Greek ladies wear black?
Widows in Greece traditionally don black clothes that used to indicate their sexually neutral status. Exact opposite of south asian cultures where widows typically wear white clothes for the rest of their lives.
How can I be polite in Greece?
10 Things to Know When Visiting Greece
- Be prepared for personal questions. Greeks are friendly and openly affectionate.
- Shake hands when meeting someone new.
- Introduce yourself.
- Never gesture towards someone’s face with an open palm.
- Nodding your head means no.
- Wave good-bye with your palm facing you.
- Share your plate.
- Don’t ask for separate checks.
How much money should I bring to Greece?
How much money will you need for your trip to Greece? You should plan to spend around €110 ($134) per day on your vacation in Greece, which is the average daily price based on the expenses of other visitors. Past travelers have spent, on average, €28 ($34) on meals for one day and €22 ($27) on local transportation.
Do people speak English in Greece?
The official language of Greece is Greek, spoken by 99% of the population. The most common foreign languages learned by Greeks are English, German, French and Italian.
Can you drink the water in Greece?
Water — The public drinking water in Greece is safe to drink, although it can be slightly brackish in some locales near the sea. For that reason, many people prefer the bottled water available at restaurants, hotels, cafes, food stores, and kiosks.
Is Greece better than Italy?
Italy has more (easily accessible) history, a richer range of cuisine, better cooking and food tours, and more sightseeing opportunities. Greece has better beaches, a more relaxing atmosphere (especially on the islands), and cheaper food and hotels.
Are there any travel warnings for Greece?
Do not travel to Greece due to COVID-19. Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Greece due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in
Is Greece hotter than Italy?
Italy vs Greece: Weather The climate in both countries is quite similar. From May to October, the weather is warm, and the regions get a lot of Sun. However, Greece takes the win for the cool breezes that make the weather pleasant on the Greek Islands in the hotter months.